I have been practicing law in Monterey County since 1980, with an emphasis in Estate Planning, Real Estate and Business matters.
- State University of New York at Stony Brook
M.A. Theoretical Mathematics, 1971
M.S. Applied Mathematics and Statistics, 1974
Ph.D. (all but dissertation) Statistics, 1976
- University of West Los Angeles
J.D., Law, Magna Cum Laude, Valedictorian, 1980
During 1977 through 1980, I worked at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California as a Transportation System Analyst. While there, I worked primarily on two projects.
First, I was a principal author of a State of the Art Assessment of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles in Use throughout the World, a report prepared for Congress. I developed the data requirements and collection methodology, and extensively traveled in France, Germany and the Great Britain in fulfillment of this task. Information was collected from vehicle manufacturers, operators, and government officials. I managed the statistical analysis efforts, as well as report organization, editing, and publication. I also designed the cover art.
Second, I was the project manager of a study for the Urban Mass Transit Administration regarding Automated Fare Collection equipment and methods in Mass Transit. The purpose was to assess alternative systems approaches as well as the costs and reliability associated with existing systems in use.
I am an active volunteer with the Carmel Valley Angel Project, the Carmel Valley Village Improvement Committee, the Friends of the Carmel Valley Library, the Carmel Valley Kiwanis and the Congregation Beth Israel Jewish Food Festival.
A very rewarding experience with the Friends of the Carmel Valley Library was the establishment of a School Scrabble Club in 2006. I organized and coordinated a qualifying Scrabble Tournament and 2 winning students were sponsored by the Friends to the National School Scrabble Championship in Boston, where they took 31st place out of 98 teams as novice competitors.
I was previously an active volunteer with the Carmel Valley Chamber of Commerce, the Old Monterey Business Association, the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, the Carmel Chapter of the American Red Cross and the Carmel-By-The-Sea Rotary Club.
One of the highlights of my time with the Rotary Club was the establishment of the Carmel Rotary Blues Band and its “gigs” to raise money for youth music programs and, ultimately, the creation of a recording studio in the Carmel Youth Center for local youth to train, rehearse and record. I also chaired the “Carmel Rotary Soul and Blues Revue”, an annual fund-raiser to continue raising money for youth music programs in the local community.
- I have a lifetime credential to teach Mathematics and Law in the California Community Colleges
- I taught courses in Mathematics at the college level in New York and California between 1970 and 1990.
- I taught the Legal Aspects of Real Estate at Monterey Peninsula College a few times during the period of 1983-1990.
- Dog Grooming – Good therapy for both of us and a great bonding experience.
- Brewing Beer – English bitter, brown ale, and porter. (1991 to present)
- Computer programming, operation and maintenance (1965 to present)
- Piano – primarily classical (1957 to present); dabbled with the blues (1994 to 1998)
- Power Boating – (1999 to 2008)
- Motorcycling – I’ve been riding motorcycles since the 60’s. Since 1991, I have traveled over 75,000 miles touring this great land on a 1991 Harley Davidson Electra Glide.